10 Plants that are Toxic to Dogs
Dogs are curious by nature, and love to explore their surroundings. This means that they can easily get into trouble if they eat something they shouldn’t. There are many plants that are poisonous to dogs, so it’s important to be aware of them if you have a pet pooch. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at 10 plants that are toxic to dogs. Keep this information in mind, and always keep an eye on your furry friend when he or she is outside!
While there are many plants that may be dangerous to pets, animals and even people-here are 10 Plants that are toxic to dogs. These are some of the more common varieties that your pet may come across:
1. Autumn Crocus
Also known as Meadow Saffron or Naked Lady, this plant contains a toxic alkaloid called colchicine. This compound creates respiratory failure and other very serious complications and death.
And Rhododendron. It doesn’t take much, eating just a few leaves can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and lapsing into a coma.
Also known as Persian violet or Sowbread . These common houseplants contain saponins which when ingested cause severe cramping, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures and death.
Also known as Chandelier plant, Mother of Millions and Devil’s Backbone. These common flowering houseplants contain bufadienolides are a heart toxin and can cause heart failure.
These plants are generally found in warm weather locations and contain poisons called cardiac glycoside toxins that interfere directly with electrolyte balance within the heart muscle. They are dangerous to humans and other animals as well.
These flowers contain lycorin which triggers severe vomiting in dogs. Crystals on the outside of the bulbs are a severe irritant and ingestion of this plant and flowers can lead to severe respiratory problems and heart arrhythmias.
7. Sago Palm
All parts of this palm are toxic but the seeds/nuts have the highest toxicity. This plant contains cycasin which causes liver failure in dogs. Once a dog ingests this plant and the symptoms get severe-survival rate is less than 50%.
8. China Berry Tree
While the bark and leaves are toxic to a lesser degree-the berries contain high amounts of nortriterpene and tetranortriterpene. Ingestion will result in bloody feces, disorientation, lethargy and heart seizures.
These trees drop hard brown nuts in the fall. These nuts contain a deadly toxin called Aesculin. This can cause gastronomical and neurological signs of poisoning, such as vomiting, diarrhea and collapsing.
10. Lily of the Valley
While not all lilies are toxic this beauty contains high levels of cardiac glycosides. The bulb is most dangerous and ingestion will cause serious, adverse effects within hours. Over 40 different cardiac glycosides have been identified in this plant!